John Nwosu, a candidate for the 2025 Anambra governorship election from the Labour Party (LP), has withdrawn from the contest.
Hours before the party’s primary election on Saturday, Nwosu reportedly pulled out, citing the Supreme Court’s decision to oust Julius Abure as the party’s national chairman.
Nwosu announced his exit from the contest and accused national and state party officials in charge of the primary election of conducting violations.
“It is evident from a thorough examination of all the actions, transgressions, and offensive behavior committed by the national and state Labour Party officials in charge of holding the Anambra State governorship primary election that they did not adhere to the rules and regulations of INEC, as well as the provisions of our beloved Labour Party’s Constitution,” he stated.
Nwosu further claimed that the list of primary delegates had been changed multiple times and was only published eight hours prior to the primary poll.
Read Also: Vandals Sabotage Gas Pipeline in Bayelsa
“A list of alleged delegates surfaced despite the fact that no delegates’ congress was held in any of Anambra State’s 21 LGAs, which is convincing and verifiable. Contrary to election standards, the list was changed multiple times and only posted at the party headquarters eight hours prior to the primary’s planned start time, he said.
Furthermore, he stated that he would not be able to take part in the primary election due to his Christian beliefs and morals.
“I am certain that my involvement in the primary will validate illegality, undermine due process, and violate my integrity, Christian values, and principles,” he said.
He expressed gratitude to his followers in Anambra State and beyond for their patience and reaffirmed his resolve to pursue political goals in the future through legitimate, open, and equitable procedures.